The primary purpose of the American Red Cross Wilderness and Remote First Aid course is to provide individuals a foundation of first aid principles and skills to be able to respond to emergencies and give care in areas that do not have immediate emergency medical services (EMS) response, such as wilderness and remote environments, including urban disasters, such as earthquakes and hurricanes. In this course you will also develop leadership skills and learn how to help prevent, plan for and respond to emergencies.
It is suggested that you bring with you any supplies you would normally have on hand for either a day hike or a backpacking trip or other outdoor setting in order to best replicate the equipment that you may be required to use in an emergency situation. These supplies may include, but are not limited to, a day pack or backpack, a tent and ground cloth/tarp, a sleeping bag, a foam sleeping pad, a flashlight or headlamp, a hat, sunscreen and a first aid kit. Again, you are encouraged to have your own wilderness first aid kit and/or backpack for the course.
Current adult CPR/AED certification is a required for participation in the Wilderness and Remote First Aid course. Participants must also be 14 years of age on or before the last scheduled session of the course, although it is recommended that all participants be at least 15 years old. Additionally any Scout/Venturer/Explorer (who is 14 years old or older) must have the approval of his or her Unit leader.
If you do not have a current CPR/AED certification, this will be offered prior to the class for an additional cost. Please contact us for details.
- This is a 16 hour course covered over two-days.
- 3 meals will be provided during the class: Lunch and supper the first day and breakfast on the second day.
- This certification also meets the criteria for the Boy Scouts of America
- The Tuition for this course is $235. If you are a Boy Scout of America you are eligible for a discount, please contact us further information.
- Class size is limited to 20 seats, so please register as soon as possible.
Dec. 1st-2nd, 2012
Mar. 9th-10th, 2012